Saturday, May 23, 2009

Two week follow up at Iowa City

Yesterday Logan and I went to IA City for my 2 week follow-up. It is funny how time can seem to go so slow. Two weeks is really nothing, but it feels like a lifetime right now. It is hard to believe that I went through with the surgery and that the worst is behind me.
The drive was a little uncomfortable, I'm not used to sitting in the car for that long. Once we got there we bypassed the valet parking (dumb!) and went to the parking ramp like we always do. We found a spot fairly close to the elevator so I crutched from the car to the elevator. I thought we would be able to find a wheelchair at the sky walk entrance, there usually was every other time we had came to IA City. Murphy's law was in effect and there were no wheelchairs, so I crutched from the parking ramp to the exam room. Needless to say that was a little uncomfortable as well, but on the other hand I did it and I survived so that was a small victory. One of the doctors from Dr. Mickinley's group cam in and I told her about the weird groin pain and swelling in my groin, and the tenderness of my old C-section scar. She didn't seem too concerned and said it was probably from the way they had to open me up to do the surgery. (Pulling of the skin back and stuff) She then had me lay on the table and moved my hip around, flexing it in and outward. OUCH! Then she looked at my scar and said it looked great. A few minutes later Dr. Mckinley came in, he agreed that the groin pain was normal and it would go away as I healed. He also showed me my new x-rays with my lovely hardware. My hip looks almost normal now, minus the three long screws in my hip. My angle went from 0 to 27 degrees. (normal is 25-30) He seemed happy with my progress so far, he also moved my hip around but just up and down, no twisting, he knew that would be too painful. My next appointment is in 5 weeks and hopefully the x-ray will show that I can start to get off the crutches. I hope these next weeks go by faster than the last 2!
After the appointment we stopped at Williamsberg and did a little shopping before we went home. When we got home we made a trip to Sam's club before picking Caleb up from daycare. I took pain meds about every 6 hours today, which is more than I have taken the last few days, but I overdid it yesterday and by the time we got home, I didn't want to move from my chair. I am glad we got so much done, but I wish my healing would go faster!

1 comment:

  1. This blog is a nice way to keep on your status. I've been telling myself, oh I need to call Colleen! pretty much every day for over a week, and then I get lost in the shuffle. I knew your mom was there last week so I'm glad you had some help. Did she go home already? Let me know if you'd like some company this week and I'll come over! Glad to hear the Dr.'s think your healing is going well. I'm sure even the smallest things take a lot of energy and are painful. Hopefully in the next 5 weeks that will subside some and you'll start to feel normal again!

    ReplyDelete