Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hospital Stay - Saturday

Saturday came and the night before was long, I didn't sleep much due to my roommate. Logan came about 5:30 in the morning and this day the doctors did not round until closer to 7am, so he was frustrated. I didn't blame him. The doctors didn't say much, just changed my dressing and said that I would have more X-rays done today. My appetite continued to get better. My medication regimen included Oxycontin 20mg twice daily, Percocet 2 tabs every 4 hours, Vistaril 50mg every 4 hours, Iron three times daily, Stool Softener three times daily, Senokot twice daily. Saturday morning my parents stopped by to say good bye, they had to make it back to EG for a graduation. Logan and I hung out and I ordered my lunch, we heard a rumor that Physical therapy was going to come for me but the nurses told me to order anyways. Unfortunately right after I did this, they came for me from X-ray. I was wheeled to the dept and was set up in the waiting room. After about 10 minutes, the tech came out and said they didn't realize I needed a special kind of x-ray and the only person available to do it had just gone to the OR. They told me to continue to wait and sent Logan to my room to wait for PT since they were coming any minute. After about 5 minutes Logan came back because my lunch had arrived. So the x-ray tech said I could go back to my room and they would get me later. So I went back to my room had lunch and then went back to x-ray. The x-rays required me to stand on one leg without my walker, it was tough but I was able to do it. I can't wait to see what the pictures look like! After X-Ray I went back to my room and PT was finally ready for me. I got set up with my crutches. I didn't like them at all, I got around pretty good with the walker, but since my home has a lot of steps, I had to use the crutches. It was pretty shaky, and the PT therapist was kind of strange. I didn't like his analogies. When I started with the crutches I kept my left foot up the same way I did with the walker, the therapist said I was doing it wrong and I should try to imagine stepping on a glass, putting enough pressure to touch the ground but not break it. Now, I'm not Jewish and have never stepped on a glass. I would try to ask, if my knee is bent, isn't that a good sign I am not putting too much weight on the left? He would say, what they taught in PT school was to step on a glass and didn't really answer my question. The PT therapist took me into their room where they keep their staircase. I made my way up and down twice. The PT therapist looked pleased, but I wasn't so sure. He said, "you know, now that you passed the steps you can go home." This sounded ok to me, but it was so soon, I didn't know if I was ready. Logan was really excited, he was ready to go home. The nurses had even hinted at the fact that I may go home on sat. I wish I had, sat night was the worst yet. (Due to my roommate and low staffing levels) The way it turned out was that the Dr. was not ready to release me yet and wanted to look at my scar in the morning. So I stayed. I had also tried to take less of my pain medication that day and if finally caught up with me that evening. I hurt really bad and started feeling super hot. The nurses aide came in and took my temp, she held it out for me to see the reading, but it was in Celsius, and I haven't converted Celsius to Fahrenheit since chemistry at Drake. I asked her what it meant, she said she didn't know, then said she thought it was 104. This shocked and scared me, I have had a high temp like that before and it wasn't fun. Luckily we had our laptop in the hospital and Logan googled the conversion and my temp was 100.4. Much better. The nurse's aid had said the nurse would be in to see me in 15 minutes. 1 hour later he came, by this time the pain meds I had taken had eased my pain and i was starting to cool off thanks to my fan. It was getting to be about 9pm, so Logan headed back to the hotel. I really didn't want to see him go, but I knew he wouldn't be comfortable at the hospital. The only good thing was that I would go home the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment