Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hospital Stay - Friday

My hospital stay was 4 days long, including the day of surgery. It was quite an interesting thing. I wish I could say I slept well, but who can in a hospital? On Friday morning (day after surgery) he doctors came about 5:15 for rounds, Logan had wanted to be there, but just missed them. They didn't say too much, except that I would have a CT scan today. Later that morning my nerve block (epidural) and catheter was removed. My PCA pump was also removed. I wondered how my pain level would be without the nerve block and the PCA pump, but it has always been well controlled with the oral pain medications. Friday morning around 10:30, Dr. Mckinley and his nurse Tess stopped by to check on me. Dr. Mckinley said the surgery went very well and the hip was in a perfect position. Around 11:30 on Friday the physical therapy people came by to get me out of bed and show me how to use the crutches. Unfortunately the nerve block was still causing some numbness so I wasn't really able to put all of my weight on the right leg. Everyone was worried, myself included. If I couldn't put weight on my right, what would I do? Righty had surgery when I was 20 months and I have always tried to be gentle with it. Luckily by Friday afternoon the block had worn off and I could make it to the bathroom really well with the help of my walker. All of the nursing staff was impressed. That made me feel pretty good. I was still battling nausea and I was so HOT! I could not get cooled off, so Logan went to Wal-Mart and got me a small clip on Fan, while my mom wheeled me around the hospital to cool me off. My room was very small and I had to share it with a roommate. I am going to post another entry just about my roommate, stay tuned. After I got the fan set up I was really quite comfortable in my hospital bed. After lunch I got rolled to X-ray for the CT scan, which was pretty uneventful. My appetite improved, but I was still very drowsy. My sister cam by with her kids and Angel that evening. It was really good to see them, but it was late in the day and I was having trouble staying awake. Everyone left about 10:30 and I tried to get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment