Thursday, May 14, 2009

1 week post PAO

Well I finally got caught up with my blog. It is 1 week since my surgery. My butt hurts. I am tired of sitting, but find it to difficult to get in other positions. I have been able to make it out into the real world once every day. Monday it was to get my blood drawn, since the hospital social worker dropped the ball on that one. Tues I went to Scheels for different sandals & my Hy-Vee. Wed I went to Target & Bed Bath & Beyond (needed a good vanity mirror for applying make-up. I get tired standing on one leg all the time!) Today the visiting nurse came to my house to draw blood for my INR. After that Logan took me to the Home Depot so he can order wood to build a retaining wall this weekend.
I am able to get around pretty well with the help of my walker and crutches. My walker helps me while I am in the house while the crutches help me get down stairs and out in public. I tried to ween myself off the pain meds yesterday, again it didn't go so well. I talked with Tess and she said it is still early, so I shouldn't worry about that for now.
I can move my leg forward while walking with crutches, but can't move it from side to side very well. Sometimes I can lift it up to an ottoman, sometimes I can't. I think I have the downward motion figured out, that doesn't hurt as bad. I have had a bit of swelling in the left leg from my knee upward. It gets worse at night and feels very weird. The whole hip joint is just plain SORE and it feels very tight. I am told this is normal, so I will try not to envision bad scenarios with the joint.
Showering is not too bad. I am so glad I have the transfer bench for the shower, I don't know what I would have done without it!
Several times in the hospital I would wake up in a stupor and have to remind myself of what I did, and am so glad now that the past is behind me and I can look forward to a better future with a non-dysplatic hip. Now if rightly can hold out, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment