Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day of Surgery

(It has been 5 days since my LPAO, but I am going to breakdown how everything went. I didn't feel like blogging until today so I apologize for the long delay.)
The morning started at 5am, I had to report to the surgery center at 6am for 8am surgery. First my phone rang, then the room phone rang with our "wake-up" call , and then the alarm on Logan's phone went off, so needless to say we had no chance to oversleep. After another shower with the lovely Betadine solution (this is a special soap that helps prevent skin infections), I was dressed in comfy clothes minus any make-up or hair products. We met my parents downstairs, the hotel was busy, lots of other patients going to surgery as well. I think I was the youngest. We hoped in the car and made our way to the hospital, I was amazingly calm considering what was about to happen to me. We parked the car and then made our way to admissions. I checked in and about 2 seconds later was whisked back to a room by a "no-nonsense" nurse. I think she had been doing the job for awhile. She got my vitals and gave me my hospital bracelet. Then she handed me my gowns and a bag for my own clothes. After I was dressed the another nurse from the anesthesiologist dept. came. He started to talk to me about the epidural and my anesthesia plan, when two nurses came in begged him to let them have the room I was in. The nurse was hesitant, he asked me if I cared if we moved to a TV Lounge that had very few people in it. I being the agreeable person I am said that would be all right and we moved to the lounge with Logan and my parents. Once in the Lounge he went over the risks of anesthesia and told me how the rest of the day would go. I signed some paperwork and then he started my IV, of course this is when other people walked into the lounge. Good thing I don't embarrass easy. I was able to wait with my family for about 10 more minutes and then I had to kiss them goodbye and get on a gurney to go back to surgery. It was an odd feeling being wheeled back when I am used to being very independent. Our first stop was the anesthesia suite, where I was given my epidural which would provide a nerve block and help with pain. Unfortunately I was a test patient for the doctor that did the epidural, he had to poke me three different times and apparently got some spinal fluid, which put me at risk for a spinal headache. That did not make me happy. (My previous experience with an epidural was when I had Caleb and I only had to be poked once.)

(My three pokes and bruise from epidural.)
After that fun time I was wheeled back to surgery where all I remember was the plastic mask and then I went to sleep.
When I woke up I was back in recovery and did not remember having the tube pulled out or anything else. Maybe it was the anesthesia, but I do not remember anyone telling me anything about the surgery. I do remember the new nurse being upset about the new computer system implemented at Iowa and complaining about it a lot. But finally I was wheeled into my new hospital room and after 30 minutes of waiting in my room I was finally reunited with my family. They were a little upset because they did not know I was in my room, they just wandered and found me. It was then that I learned that the surgery had gone well and I had lost very little blood. The rest of the day I dosed on and off. The nurse for my room came in and tried to get me to eat something for dinner but I felt too nauseous. I did order some soup, but was unable to eat it. The rest of the day I got used to my surroundings. I will start a new post about my hospital stay since I feel like this one has gotten too long.

1 comment: