Thursday, May 14, 2009

Discharge on Sunday!

What a happy day! It started early, I never slept the night before, maybe a few hours. The Doctor's came about 6:30 in the morning, Logan missed them again. That made him angry, he could never time it right, except for Friday. They came and took the dressing off my scar, said it looked good and asked if I wanted to go home. I said yes, so he said he would write the discharge orders. Logan came a little later and I told him what the doc had said. I ordered breakfast and then we started to get me cleaned up to go home. During this the nurse came in and said she ran into a snag and could not find the discharge orders. After I was dressed we got me in a wheelchair and went out to the nurses station. She gave Logan my prescriptions so we could take them down to the pharmacy and get them filled while we waited. When we came back up the Nurse had my orders ready. The problem had been some sort of lack of communication between staff regarding a blood draw that I had earlier in the day. I am on warfarin, a medication that prevents clots. I will have to have my blood drawn twice a week because of this. Well apparently someone didn't know my INR (blood test used to determine dose of warfarin) had been taken previously and so no one knew what my dosage of warfarin was to be. But now this snag had been taken care of I was given the green light to go home. I asked the nurse about caring for my scar, she said I would have to check with Tess on Monday. I couldn't believe that the doctors hadn't told me in the morning if the nursing staff wouldn't be able to tell me. This made me angry, which pretty much sums up how I felt about staying at the Hospital. I never really felt like I was ever told that much information, thank goodness I am a pharmacist and have a little bit of a medical background. I feel sorry for patients that do not.
A nurse helped Logan and I out to the car with all of my stuff and my walker and crutches. I preferred using the walker over the crutches, but the walker was not mine to keep. Logan stopped at a gas station to get some pretzels and some drinks and we were off. The car ride was not very fun. I wished we had packed pillows for the ride home, we didn't so we never stopped for lunch we just drove home as fast as we could. My pain meds were also wearing off during the drive, so the timing wasn't very good either. Finally we were home and reunited with our son Caleb. It was so good to see him! I had missed him a lot! We had talked on the phone the whole time, but 2 year olds are not so good at talking on the phone. After we got lunch and settled in I was able to shower for the first time since the Wednesday before. It felt really good, I felt human again. Then I took a nap in our bed. I love our bed it is so comfortable, I really missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment