Thursday, June 4, 2009

4 weeks post PAO

My scar a little over 3 weeks post PAO

It has been 4 weeks since my PAO. I didn't get last week posted, I wish I could say I was too busy, but that would not be true. I just didn't feel like doing too much. I would say that has been one of the hardest things for me, keeping motivated. It is very easy to fall into moods that cause me to feel like doing nothing. I am going to try to keep busy from now on. I have tons of journals and CE that I could get a jump start on, plus I have boxes of pictures to put in photo albums, so I do have things to keep me busy. Besides, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. In 22 days I will be back at IA City and hopefully will be told I can start weight bearing. So, I will catch everyone up to speed with my progress thus far. A little after 2 weeks post PAO, I was able to put my own pants on without devices. I am getting better everyday with movement, I can lift my left leg and turn my ankle inward to get my clothes on. I then have to sit on my bed to put my right leg through. I can bend down to pick things up, as long as I kick my left leg out. I am pretty good with my crutches. My walker is my mode of transportation in the house. I have a small plastic container that my husband made into a basket for me. It allows me to carry things from the kitchen and around the house. I have been left home alone for the past 2 days and it has been ok. My husband is able to help with meals during the day, but I could do it on my own if need be.

I take about 2 percocet per day. I try to get by without it, but when I am in pain, I don't feel like moving. I would take Ibuprofen, but I am still on coumadin and these two medications don't go well together. (I hate Tylenol!) I tried to see if my doctor would let me take Ibuprofen, but they do not. I don't see the issue, I have to get my blood drawn twice a week to monitor the coumadin dosage anyways. Oh well I will play the game. I am not wearing my TED hose anymore. I am supposed to, but they don't feel tight anymore and I don't think I am at risk for a clot. I move a lot during the day and my last INR was 2.0. (Normal is 1.5-2.0) Plus I hate those socks! They are so hot and itchy! I couldn't sleep with them on!

My scar area is healing very well. I still have some numbness around the scar and the top of my thigh is tender, but it isn't too bad. I am able to wear my old underwear and jeans.

All in all I think I am doing pretty well. I am worried about when I am finally able to weight bear. I hope I can get back to my old self as soon as possible. I am not allowed to do physical therapy until I can weight bear on my left. I am also trying not to gain 15 pounds! I can't wait until I can get back into the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment