Friday, June 12, 2009

5 weeks post PAO

It is hard to believe that it has been five weeks since my procedure. Today I have not taken any narcotic pain medications, only tylenol. I still have some minor pain, but it is tolerable so I may not need to take any more percocet. Last week I had a couple of days where my pain increased, my back hurt so bad and my muscles felt so stiff, but today I am feeling pretty good.

I reached another milestone in my recovery journey - I put my own shoes on by myself! I am as excited as my two year old!

I thought I would share about some of the useful items I use in my daily activities. I have been able to shower by myself about a week after I came home. I attribute this to my awesome transfer bench. It comes out of the tub so I am able to back on to it to sit and then turn around into the tub. I also have my shower head on a hose so it is very easy to shower. I have a long handeled "poof" that has allowed me to wash my legs even in the early days when I could not bend forward. I also bought a shower caddy that sticks to the wall to hold my shampoo and soap at a handy level for me. I bought one made by OXO, the suction cups really hold very well. I also purchased some rails for my toilet. It was very easy to install. I never bought an elevated seat, I find the railings have worked fine for me. Lastly I think my walker is great for in the house. I like it more than my crutches for in the house, mostly because when I put my crutches anywhere they fall down. So I use my crutches to go up and down the stairs in my house and out in public. I did purchase a grabber, but I don't really use it. I was able to order all of these items from my pharmacy. Most pharmacies should be able to order them, I just paid cash from my medical flex account and didn't try to turn it into my insurance because I didn't want to bother, but I think some insurances will cover these home health care items. Some of these items might even be able to be rented, such as the transfer bench.

My toilet rails
Shower caddy that attaches to wall

My transfer bench


My shower scene





2 comments:

  1. Hi, Colleen. My name is Lori and google directed me to your site. :-) I have been doing research for blogs and online journals on PAO, as I'm in the process of being referred to a couple surgeons to have a RPAO myself for severe hip dysplasia (I'm 34 and have 2 young children). Thank you VERY much for sharing your experiences, thoughts, trials, and successes with everyone! Also, congratulations on your recovery thus far - I hope and pray you continue to recover fully!

    Thanks again for sharing your journey. Hope you don't mind, but I've bookmarked your blog so I can check in from time to time. :-) It seems like many things you have experienced post-op (hot sweats/fever, trouble sleeping, not liking the stockings, nausea post-op, etc.) have been the exact same story on 3 other blogs I've read! Guess all of that is to be expected, huh.

    Thanks again, and best wishes to you on your journey!

    Lori H.
    Franklin, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori- I am so happy you have found my blog informing, that is exactly why I started it. This can be a scary procedure, but I know many other women are so happy they did it. I don't know if you have looked on the yahoo group "hip women", it is a great resource as well. I wish I had some advice about surgeons in the TN area, but maybe you could check out hip women. Good luck on your "hip" journey. Make sure you line up lots of help with your little ones, I still can't pick up my son, but now he can sit on my lap on my good side and we can read stories. It helps me to feel like I am still his mom since I can't do much else for him.
    Best wishes!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete