Sunday, June 21, 2009

6 Weeks PAO - Belated

It has been a little over 6 weeks since my surgery. I was unable to post on the exact date due to the fact I was at a state pharmacy meeting over the weekend. I was a little nervous about the weekend, I would have to stay in a hotel and be on crutches for the entire time. Fortunately the hotel had a great handicapped accessible room complete with transfer bench. My husband was able to travel with me. I still can't put on my own socks!
Everyone at the meeting was really friendly and many helped me open doors and pull out chairs for me. I am glad I live in Iowa where the people are so friendly. I don't know if people would help me out as much if I lived in New York, for example.
I do wish I had a dollar for every time I had to say periacetabular osteotomy. Even in a room full of pharmacists I still got looks of shock and "periacetabular what?"
I must say I can not wait until next week. I go back to Iowa City for follow up x-rays. Hopefully I will get the all clear to bear weight on the left. I have been so ready to walk I gave it a shot last week. Just a little step to see what would happen. Unfortunately my muscles are so weak that I almost fell over. I have been trying to stand on both legs to try to put a little more weight to strengthen those muscles. I don't feel any pain and it almost feels normal.
For my final note, being that today is Father's day, I have to give a big thank you to my husband. He has taken very good care of Caleb and his one-legged wife. We have had a few frustrating times due to my controlling type "A" personality, but we always get through it. We both can't wait to get life back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment