Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pre-Op apointment

My pre-op appointment was last week, I apologize that I do not post as things happen. I will try to do better. The day started very early, Logan and I were up at 5am so we could drop Caleb off at daycare at 6:30am and drive to Iowa City for a 9:30 appointment. Once we arrived at Iowa City I met with Dr. Mckinley's nurse, Tess. She was really nice and patient. I had a lot of questions. I think I might have given her the impression that I was backing out of surgery with some of my questions/comments. I do that quite a bit, I still don't want to believe that I am really going through this. She said I could get a second opinion, I reassured her that I was not backing out. Besides where would I get a second opinion from? There really is no question about how bad my dysplasia is. I am the only one questioning if my "symptoms" warrant surgery. I know that I have to go through with this and the time I waste getting second opinions could be better spent healing from said surgery.
Back to the surgery. I will have to report 1 & 1/2 hours before my surgery time, the actual surgery should take around 4 hours, and then I will spend 1-2 hours in recovery before family can see me. After that I will be transferred to a room and then my hospital stay of 3-5 days begins. I will be on coumadin to prevent blood clots and I will have to wear compression stockings for 8 weeks. Twice a week I will have to have my blood drawn to monitor my INR level from the coumadin. This will also be for 8 weeks. I will not be able to bear weight on my left hip and there will be no driving while on controlled pain medications. Sounds fun right?! All I can do is try to stay positive and know that time will pass and then hopefully I will avoid a total hip replacement before my 60's!
The day ended on a positive note, my CT scan was scheduled at 3:15 pm, but I checked with them when I was done with pre-op around 11am and they were able to get me in early. It was so nice to go home early so we could pick Caleb up from daycare!

No comments:

Post a Comment