Wednesday, April 22, 2009

CHD+PAO=WTF

I think now I will explain the name of my blog. CHD stands for Congenital Hip Dysplasia. PAO is for Periacetabular Osteotomy. WTF needs no explanation. I hope I don't offend too many people, but that is truly how I feel. It sums it up quite well. I have often thought that I need a stamp like this one below for the pharmacy that I could use when I got crazy orders from physicians or strange requests from patients.



Back to the hip thing. I am including a very helpful link to explain PAO.

http://www.hipandpelvis.com/patient_education/periace/page1.html

Basically for those unfamiliar with the procedure, my socket will be cut out of my pelvis and realigned and attached with metal pins until the bone grows back together and the pins can be removed. Bone takes a long time to heal and everyone does this differently. I won't be able to put weight on my left leg for 8 weeks or longer, until the bones heal back together. This won't allow me to pick up my son and carry him like he loves so much. I will need help to care for him, which makes me feel useless. I will also have to be on crutches for 8 weeks. This means new ways to learn how to take care of myself and it means no work. (I don't think I could type while on crutches while standing.) Luckily the company I work for has a great short term disability plan so I don't have to worry about not working. Our insurance is also very good and I still have a lot of flex money left to use for the deductibles and copays. Another positive is that my husband is very supportive as is several family members that we will be relying on for help during my recovery. It is hard for me to ask for help from others, but I am so grateful that we have so much support.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have a blog! First Facebook and now this. You are so techno-saavy these days :) I think it's great-- blogs are fun.

    ReplyDelete