Wednesday, April 22, 2009

And Then...

So I was sent to an O.S. to evaluate my left hip. I was not very happy about this, I vowed I didn't need surgery. I was sure I would be told nothing was wrong with me and to go back home.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) that is not what happened. The O.S. came into the exam room with his P.A. and then asked me if I had pain and if they could see the scar on my right side. I showed them and they got a funny look on their face and said they would be right back. This kind of freaked me out a bit, I wondered what they thought was wrong and why they were looking at me like I was a sideshow. They came back into the room and said "We can't help you, you need to go to Iowa City. There is only one doctor in all of Iowa that can help you." Well this was a little shocking, but I went along with it. They called and set up the appointment for me, but told me nothing about what kind of surgery I needed or any specifics. I tried to get answers but was told that the doctor in Ia City will be able to answer your questions best. So I waited a week to see the "only doctor in Iowa that could help me." I was still in big time denial and honestly thought he would tell me nothing is wrong, go have another baby and then we will talk. This is not what happened. I was told the brief details about pericacetabular osteotomy and told that I was a perfect candidate. As for waiting, no, I should have my left hip done then have a baby, then think about options for the right hip. If I chose to do nothing, in 5-7 years I will have debiltating arthritis and will need a total hip replacement at age 40. With THR only lasting 10-15 years, that didn't sound like a good option, especially when it is rare to have more than two done on the same side. On the ride home I was shell shocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment